Friday, January 25, 2019

Toasted Head Chardonnay

Name: Toasted Head Chardonnay
Variety: 7% Chardonnay, 3% Viognier
Region: Mendocino County, California
Country: USA
Year: 2017
Price: $11.49
Winemakers notes: This Chardonnay has aromas of bourbon, butterscotch, white peach, and Asian pear. On the palate, creamy toast and peachy caramelized custard flavors are complemented by a clean, hot finish. Barrel fermentation and aging is obvious in the wine, with a full, broad finish. Braised meats (lamb shank, pork loin), smoked salmon, or pasta with a cajun cream sauce.
My review: I’ve come to know chardonnays as being predominantly dry which is why I was surprised when I tried it. This chardonnay was dry but not super dry. I could definitely taste the “caramelized” flavors and the “hot finish”. The flavor profile was definitely much darker than I was expecting for a white wine. The finish was relatively subtle with no major lingering flavors.
Pairings: I did not pair this wine with any food.

No comments:

Post a Comment